May 4, 2010

Natural Skin Lotion

Believe it or not, olive oil makes a GREAT natural skin lotion/moisturizer. It's inexpensive, easy, and healthy. All of which I love and appreciate. :)

A couple of years ago I was sitting in the hall at church talking to a friend about dry skin. I have no idea why, I usually am not into talking about beauty, fashion, and other vanities, it seems like such a waste of time, good conversation, and good brain space. Maybe it was winter? Anyway, she has very dark skin (I would be PC here and say "African American", but she's not American - she's from England. So, is it okay say "black" then? African-English? I don't know... I'm so confused with this whole don't offend everyone thing. By the way, call me German-American from now on, please, lest I be offended).

Anyway, she told me how she uses olive oil on her skin. I couldn't believe it! Olive oil? Really?? Isn't that greasy? No, she assured me. A few drops, just a few drops, smoothed onto her skin after a shower and before toweling off, and voila! She said she keeps a little bottle in her bathroom. So I tried it. Next time I shaved my legs, I grabbed that oil despenser thing I had but wasn't using (you know, the kind they give you in restaurants when you ask for oil and vinegar on your salad?) and filled it up with some olive oil, which I always have in the kitchen. I did what she said and then let my skin air-dry. I couldn't believe it! Soft, smooth, NOT greasy, and the most well-moisturized legs I've ever had lol!

This past winter my baby's skin began drying out, so I tried it on her. Instead of soap in the bath, I put a few drops on a wash cloth and washed her down with that (making sure I washed her hair first). If it was especially dry, I also put some in the bathwater. Amazingly silky smooth baby!

You can also use coconut oil. This works fanastic, and is actually what I prefer, but I never seem to be able to keep it stocked in my house. And, of course, organic of either is even better, since your skin absorbs everything.

Try it! You'll never want to buy that mostly-water, chemical-filled, almost useless and waste of money stuff they sell as lotion ever again.

:)

1 comment:

Christy said...

She told me about this too. :) It works great on Patrick's hair too but I like to add a few drops of essential oil so he doesn't smell like salad dressing. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails