Oh, coffee, how I
love loved you
I am here to proclaim (and before I do, no booing or tomato-throwing, please) - THERE IS LIFE AFTER CAFFEINE.
I, former happy and willing addict, am living proof.
I was willing to try anything to get rid of, or to at least reduce, this curse of migraines which has befallen me these past five years. So, when the doctor recommended the Migraine Diet, I was desperate enough to try it (because giving up caffeine is desperate). I've been on it now for over three months.
I am still alive.
"No caffeine consumption whatsoever" was at the top of the list - a near death sentence for someone who used to say, "Coffee is my best friend - second to Jesus, of course." I just LOVE coffee. Loved it, I should say. It is now officially part of my past.
I thought weaning myself of my happiness-in-a-cup would be hard. I was wrong. It wasn't hard at all. I am serious. It took 5 days.
By slowly reducing the size of the mug...
...then the strength of the coffee...
it wasn't bad.
No withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I mostly just missed the taste.
Here are some of the amazing benefits I have experienced from no-octane living:
- more energy. How can this be, you say? I don't know. You have to experience it to believe it.
- I look better. The dark circles under my eyes are gone; my skin looks younger, cleaner, clearer; and I look brighter somehow. Tony keeps saying, "Es impresionante!" [impressive, incredible, amazing].
- Less [regular] headaches overall
- Gone are the permanent knots in my shoulders, which often led to tension headaches. My shoulders are now soft like buttah.
- I sleep FANTASTIC. I fall asleep quickly, stay asleep, and wake up very well-rested.
- ...therefore, no need for Sleepytime Teas, or sleep aides of any kind
- Calmer nerves
- Increased emotional stability
- Little to no anxiety (mine was apparently caffeine-induced, or immensely aggravated by caffeine)
- No more highs and lows in energy level over the course of the day - just steady energy all day
I like life post-caffeine. And it HAS significantly helped my migraines. Not at first, but now I see a difference. Because I can handle stress better, and there is no caffeine in my system to contract then dialate my blood vessels (thought to be a cause of migraines), I just don't get them as much.
Tony was so impressed by the overall change in me that he gave up coffee, too!
So, there you have it. God answers prayers in strange, unexpected, and sometimes normal ways that don't always involve huge healing miracles. Just a small change in diet, and wham-o. Answered prayer. Imagine.
And, you know, there's still decaf.