March 30, 2010

Pilgrim's Progress... en español

Years ago I read The Pilgrim's Progress, the second most translated book in the world.

"A Christian allegory written by John Bunyan and published in February, 1678. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of English literature,[1] has been translated into more than 200 languages, and has never been out of print.[2]" (read the rest of Wikipedia's fairly extensive summary here).

My husband is not a big reader. The only book he ever reads is the Bible (not a bad thing), and that only after his conversion. Maybe he's read a few other books, but he's not what you would call a reader. Nonetheless, I wanted him to have his own copy of The Pilgrim's Progress, so I was able to find it on Amazon in Spanish. It took him a while to get around to reading it, but eventually he did. He raves about it. And this from a non-reader.

Well, that inspired me to finally pick it up again, this time in Spanish. WOW. It is excellent in English and just as excellent in Spanish. But don't take my word for it, read it for yourself, if you haven't already.

Here's an excerpt of Chapter I: (first in English...)

"As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and laid me down in that place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream.
 I saw a man clothed with rags, standing in a certain place, with his face from his own house, a book in his hand, and a great burden upon his back. I saw him open the book, and read therein; and as he read, he wept and trembled; and he cried out, 'What shall I do?'" (read more)

(Second en español):

"Caminando iba yo por el desierto de este mundo, cuando me encontré en un paraje donde había una cueva; busqué refugio en ella fatigado, y habiéndome quedado dormido, tuve el siguiente sueño: Vi un hombre en pie, cubierto de andrajos, vuelto de espaldas a su casa, con una pesada carga sobre sus hombros y un libro en sus manos. Fijando en él mi atención, vi que abrió el libro y leía en él, y según iba leyendo, lloraba y se estremecía, hasta que, no pudiendo ya contenerse más, lanzó un doloroso quejido y exclamó: — ¿Qué es lo que debo hacer?" (lee más)(lee más con dibujos)

There is also a children's version of the book, several movie versions, an animated movie version, even a YouTube video.

:)

1 comment:

Denise said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never read it. I've wanted to for years, but these days I usually don't get through more than a paragraph at a time (and this from a former avid reader!). I'm going to make an effort to read it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails