January 6, 2012

the gift that keeps on giving

Sometimes, especially these days, as we wait for things to happen, I can feel frustrated. Frustrated because we can't leave town with our unregistered van. Frustrated because we could be doing so much more if we had plates for it. Frustrated because so much here seems to be a waiting game. Americans are not used to waiting. And it's been two whole months since we started the process to register the Mission Mobile.

Then, one day - as we drove out of our neighborhood, and through the one next door - I remembered the verse. The verse on the back of our van. The one everyone reads as we drive slowly by. And I was encouraged.



Revelation 3:20, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."  


A strange verse, I thought. Why not John 3:16? Or something more.... gospel-y?

Tony shook his head No. You can not come straight at Argentinians, I know. Trust me. You can not bludgeon them over the head with religion or talk of God or even the Gospel. Slow.... This verse will get people to think. Everybody in Argentina loves to sit down with friends, family, and have a good meal.

This is the way... This verse.

Everyone reads it. We look after them in the rear view mirror and watch them stare. And then, mouth slightly parted, you can see them reflecting. Eyebrows raised. Some furrowed. Squinting. Some puzzled. All affected.

No rocks thrown yet.

Thank you, Alvin, for this gift, for kindly putting this on. A gift that keeps on giving.

When we are frustrated, feeling stagnant, waiting for things to happen over which we have no control, Gods Word continues to go out somewhere in Patagonia.

And a promise goes with it,

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. ~Isaiah 55:10-12

1 comment:

Denise said...

Nick told me about the verse on your van. (Guess he saw in on FB?) I think it's perfect!

Related Posts with Thumbnails